Friday, March 18, 2011

Good Enough To Eat: Chicken Pot Pie Casserole

So with the weather being cold and rainy up there in P-town (while hubby and I enjoy the sunny weather in Texas... sorry guys), I thought I would give you one of my favorite comfort food dishes.

This is a super simple recipe that I basically took the bare bones of and added my own twists to. You may be a breast instead of thigh lover (naughty naughty) and you may hate carrots, but love potatoes. Knock yourselves out with the variations. You can even change up the spices if you'd like. Sage is a pretty common poultry seasoning, but try Italian seasoning or Herbes d'Provence? Whatever makes your skirt fly up.


For those of us with kids? This is a fun recipe to include them in. Dice up the filling and let them throw it all in the bowl. They can even dump the soup in as well. Drew handled it fairly well and I even let him stir! 

Print this recipe HERE 


Filling Ingredients:

Four cooked chicken breasts or thighs - I poach them in chicken stock to get them nice and tender before putting them into the filling... use either breasts or thighs and however much you want. I find that four pieces worked out well, especially since I tend to like more veggies than meat
1/4 - 1/2 cup chicken broth- I use homemade only because I'm an over-achiever like that. Swanson's will do just fine
1 can (10.5 oz) Cream of Chicken Soup (condensed)- I use the light version... it tastes just as rich and makes the dish a little bit healthier
1 can (10.5 oz) Cream of Mushroom Soup (condensed) - same with the chicken soup
1 small onion chopped
1-2 small potatoes - I like Yukon Golds
Carrots, celery, whatever else you have on hand that you'd like to add...
About a tsp of ground sage
Salt and Pepper to taste


Crust:

1 stick butter; melted
1 1/4 cup Bisquick
1 cup milk (I used 1%, but it can be whatever you have on hand. Just remember, the butter makes it pretty rich to start with)


Prep:

Cut all of the veggies and the chicken into roughly the same size pieces. Remember that the bigger the pieces of veggies, the longer they will take to cook. I find that a small chop is the best size to go with, about 1/2-3/4 inch pieces. (Not to get too technical on ya)

Mix all of the filling ingredients together in a bowl. Check the consistency. You may want to add more chicken broth if it seems too thick. I found that with the extra veggies, I added about 1/4 cup more. Again, it's up to you. Just remember that adding the topping (the bisquick mixture) is going to thicken up your filling considerably.

Pour filling ingredients into a greased 9x13 casserole dish.

For the crust, mix the butter (yummmm), bisquick and milk together.

Pour over the chicken mixture and bake at 350 for about an hour. Let sit for 15 minutes to cool and set.

Eat and be comforted. Meanwhile I'll send you some pictures from the pool here. Not to rub it in or anything.












LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails