Friday, July 22, 2011

Good Enough To Eat : Squash Pancakes

So to start. Our glorious victory over our feathered friends? Yeah, short lived. I woke up this morning to find one of the Plymouths (Wilma, Betty?) cruising the yard. I have NO idea how she got out. So we are in the process of retreating, regrouping, and trying something new. Clipping their wings really is a last resort for me, but one that I'm getting dangerously close to trying. Stupid little shits.

But beyond that... it's FRIDAY! Which means FOOD! And this week it means kiddo food.

Having a toddler is a constant game of patience, trial and error, and imagination. What my kid likes one day? The next day it's like I'm serving him worms. And now he is emphatic about it. NO NO NO NO NO - and off the goes the plate, sailing across the table/room. It drives me up a freaking wall.

And while I believe in having him eat vegetables, as vegetables, so he doesn't shun them in the future... I'm not afraid to hide them in his food when I think he hasn't had enough.

Take this recipe. It's made with either pumpkin puree, butternut squash puree, or just whatever winter squash you have on hand (no zucchini for this one). Squash is an amazing source of carotene, folic acid, vitamin B1 and C, fiber potassium... the list goes on and on. It's really great stuff and if I have to hide it his food? So be it.

A girlfriend turned me onto this recipe and it is SUPER easy. I mean honestly people? They are pancakes. Kind of idiot proof. They also freeze really really well. So make a huge batch, throw 'em in the freezer and get your kid some crazy nutrients in his breakfast.

Enjoy!

Winter Squash Pancakes
Courtesy of "Beyond the Moon" cookbook by Ginny Callan

Ingredients 

1 C whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 C unbleached white flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg - I have pumpkin pie spice that I use instead of the ginger, allspice and nutmeg. It's all in there so I just throw a 1/2 tsp of that instead.
2 eggs
1 C pureed pumpkin or winter squash
1 tsp vanilla
2 C milk
3 Tbs canola oil

Directions

Stir together all the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl. I use a whisk to mix the dry ingredients instead of sifting them, just because I'm EXTREMELY lazy.
In another bowl, beat the eggs with the pumpkin & vanilla. Beat in the milk & oil until smooth.
Add to flour mixture, stirring until JUST combined. Let it sit for about 5 minutes and cook as usual.

I mean, STUPID proof, right? Just don't burn them on the griddle and you're all good.

Have a great weekend!!!

Ashley


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails