Sunday, August 21, 2011

Smell that?

I am constantly reminded of things in my life by smells. The smell of a fresh summer day, the wind rustling through the trees and bringing with it the smell of flowers, outside. It makes me think of the summers I spent with my grandparents, on the farm in upstate New York,listening to the wind in the trees and laying on the ground to watch big puffy clouds rolls by. It smells the same to me here... I'm sure it's the rural farmland around me,the smell of cows and fields and farms. I'm sure it's the clucking of my chickens in the backyard.

I miss those days at the farm back east. The ease, the simplicity of it all. But I'm trying to instill a little of that in my kiddo. The joy of laying in the grass, looking up at the sky, the clouds that are shaped like animals, and the smells of outdoors. I want him to understand that not everything has to be on the tv, or computer, on the radio or have four wheels and an engine. Sometimes it's nice to just sit and watch and smell the smells and make memories that will come back to you when you walk outside one day, thirty years from now.

******************

This was another installment of Stream of Consciousness Sunday, hosted by All.Things.Fadra

If you want to join up? Grab a timer, set it for five minutes and dump your brain out. It's awesome.

#SOCsunday


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

8 comments:

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Love moments like these... I think our children learn best through our example. Keep it up!!

Glad I found you via SOCSunday!

Barb said...

Simple pleasures! I love that you have chickens! i would LOVE to have my own so i am guaranteed taht the eggs came from happy grazing chickens.

Rachee said...

Love it! I love the smell of a vacuum engine. it always reminds me of my mom having the family clean the house on Thursdays to get ready for the weekend.

Good Girl Gone Green said...

I agree. There is more than a TV, computer, or the radio etc.We need to get back to the basics and enjoy nature!

Anonymous said...

Ack! Laying in the grass! There are creatures in the grass. Other than that, I'm all over this idea. :)

New follower and I found you through The Life of Rylie and Bryce.

Lisa Fox Tognola said...

ashley--it was nice to meet you at blogher '11! so glad i stopped by your site--very nice! i'm a humor blogger, and just posted a piece about my husband and his crazy garden antics that you might appreciate :) http://mainstreetmusingsblog.com/ hope you enjoy it. looking forward to staying in touch.

Mama on a Green Mission said...

Following you back from Super Stalker Sunday! (I know, I'm late, sorry!!) Thanks so much for linking up and for stopping by my blog!

April @ Mama on a Green Mission

all.things.fadra said...

It's amazing how smells can bring back memories. There is a fragrance called tea rose that smells exactly like my grandmother.

I was recently going for a walk with my son and had to stop for a familiar smell from my childhood. It was honeysuckle! And I even taught him how to suck the nectar out of the very end.

Post a Comment

Come and talk to me! I love to hear all comments and I'm always up for a healthy debate, but hateful, hurtful and inappropriate comments will be removed. Play nice everyone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails