Monday, September 5, 2011

Toddler Brain

I made this in photoshop btw... so maybe I'm not SO dumb.
Everyone said that when you are pregnant you feel less intelligent. Maybe not dumb, but scattered, forgetful, and kind of not all there. (Ok whoa stop right there. I'm not pregnant)

They say, (whoever "they" are), that your brain is focused on making and baking the kid, decorating the nursery, making out the registry, blah blah blah, therefore you are more distracted and more prone to have "pregnancy brain".

Then you have the baby and you're so sleep deprived that most days you are like a robot, going through the motions and just surviving the newborn phase. You don't need to do anything but be a dairy cow and hold the baby. This is "newborn brain" or "severe sleep deprivation" brain.

So what happens when you a) aren't pregnant, b) don't have a newborn and c) get approximately 8 hours of sleep a night? No one explained to me that there was a such a thing called "toddler brain", or "I'm not working anymore and can barely do simple math" brain.

I feel DUMB and foggy where I used to feel smart and sharp as a tack, able to write and reason and plan an event with the best of them. Now I spend most of my day, deciphering "toddler-ese" and asking someone if they have to go to the potty. I'm lucky if I can manage to get my list of housework done without losing focus and doing something else. I have literally found myself sorting through old magazines with a HUGE pile of unfolded laundry that I completely forgot about behind me. Help.

So I decided at the beginning of the year that my brain needed some challenging.

I thought about soduko, but I don't think I can handle it. Adding to 9 is more than this sad little mind can handle.
I love crossword puzzles, but when you're rusty they are pure torture.
I thought the blog would be a help, but most days I sit in front of the computer, staring blankly at the page, waiting for something witty and amusing to appear. If you could see my draft folder you would be very concerned.

So then I got ambitious and determined and  thought that I could teach myself how to move the blog over to Wordpress, learn Photoshop and design some cute buttons or something to go on my fabulous new Wordpress page. After all, I went to a math and science school, used to know how to write html and have been at least moderately computer literate most of my life.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That, my friends, was the MOST amusing thought of all. CSS? Reading code? Writing code? It's just freaking sad how dumb I am these days. I have a stack of For Dummies books on my nightstand that have gone unread because they are OVER MY HEAD. Or at least over my head at the end of the day when I'm exhausted and drinking a glass of wine and completely unmotivated to do anything except stare blankly at the TV screen and tweet.

So seriously. What do I DO?
How do you get the brain back?
What do you guys do to feel smart again?


2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Thanks for hopping with us at Mom Blog Monday! I'm now following you back from So Easy Being Green!

Heavenly Savings said...

Cute Blog! I enjoyed your posts so much I decided to follow! Happy Tuesday!! I would love for you to stop by and check out my blog as well! If you like it you can follow back! Thanks! Hope to blog with you again soon!

http://heavenlysavings.net

Post a Comment

Come and talk to me! I love to hear all comments and I'm always up for a healthy debate, but hateful, hurtful and inappropriate comments will be removed. Play nice everyone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails