Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Whole Story

So of course without getting into all of the gory details, I did want to share a little bit of how Mr. Drew made his way into the world.

So Wednesday night, Brian made plans to go golfing with my dad on Thursday. It was kind of a big deal, since they were going to be golfing at the San Diego Country Club, which is for members only, a really cool club, etc etc etc. Brian and Dad were stoked to be going and I was planning on heading to my parent's house to hang out with mom and the dog.

Thursday morning, Brian headed off to the golf course around 8:00am and I lounged in bed... being as big as I was, I definitely hadn't been sleeping at all. About 15 minutes later, I got out of bed...


Ok, um, I think my water just broke. It really was one of those movie moments where I thought, oh crap and then I just started laughing... all of that waiting and complaining about not going into labor and then with a whoosh, it started!

I knew that it didn't mean much that my water broke, seeing as how I wasn't having any contractions and  that it was more than likely going to be the start of a VERY long day. So I showered, got dressed and ran over to Rebecca's, the local coffee shop, to grab a scone. I mean, a girl can't go into labor on an empty stomach can she? Lucky for me and the patrons of Rebecca's, there wasn't a long wait at the counter and I was in the car and off to mom's house.

I ran into mom's house to grab her, pat the dog and then we headed off at a fairly leisurely, unhurried pace to triage at Mary Birch. Along the way, we started calling Brian and Dad to let them know that we were headed over there.

No answer.

Hrm. Ok, all of this freaking out about him not being in town and holy crap, I can't get a hold of him on the golf course? Oh boy. Thank god I sent him a text because apparently they don't allow phones at the SDCC and Brian took a quick look before they teed off... and IMMEDIATELY called me.

So eventually it was confirmed that yes, my water had broken and that I was in labor. Although not really since I wasn't having any contractions and they don't really like you to sit around like that... so they started the pitocin drip and we waited.

And waited.

And Brian ran errands, and mom and I played scrabble and Brian and I played cribbage and zzzzzzzzzzz...

It was super exciting.

So eventually mom headed home, with the promise that once stuff started happening we would call them and Brian and I kind of hunkered down to wait.

And then all of a sudden - HELLO CONTRACTIONS!!!

Holy hell. It was intense and I still wasn't on any pain meds because I hadn't had a need for them yet... so when they started kicking in with a vengeance I was pretty surprised. But I figured, this could take a while, I was only dilated to 3.5 and there probably wasn't any need for an epidural just yet...

Brian was a TROOPER... he was a great coach, helping me breathe through them and keeping me from panicking when they started to get really bad and to come 90 seconds apart. So we tried Fentanyl (a pain killer) to take the edge off... that didn't work at ALL and when I realized that it wasn't going to help I decided that it was time for the epidural.

I wasn't disappointed in myself but at the same time, I was kind of like... gosh, I hardly even dilated and I thought I could at least get to 5 cm first and blah blah blah (stupid delusional woman who says she doesn't want the gold star for labor but complains when she doesn't get it).

That was until they checked me out right after the epidural and I had dilated from 3.5 to 7 in an hour and a half... HOLY CRAP.

Ok. So that's why it hurt so damn bad!!! I felt better ... even though I was still feeling the damn contractions after the epidural was put in. THAT really scared the hell out of me. But eventually it all kicked in and we settled down to wait again.

Luckily there wasn't too much longer to wait as I dilated to 10 pretty quickly and then it was time to push!!! 5 big pushes and then out came my little (or not so little) man!!!

I have to be honest - These past 3 days have been some of the best of my whole life. This is truly the most amazing thing I have ever done and I look at him and just wonder at the awesomeness of it all (is that even a word??). I love being a mom and I love taking care of him and I LOVE how much he has changed even in the few days since I had him.

All I can say is... WOW.  Those are some handsome men in my life :-)


Lisa said...

This is a wonderful recounting of the special day. :) You will be so thankful you wrote this.

laura said...

i was just thinking the same thing - you will be so happy to have written this in a few years - it is something so wonderful to look back on. thinking of you and your men!! xoxox!

Post a Comment

Come and talk to me! I love to hear all comments and I'm always up for a healthy debate, but hateful, hurtful and inappropriate comments will be removed. Play nice everyone!


Related Posts with Thumbnails