Wednesday, October 7, 2009

10 days old

Wow, it has been a LONG week and a half.

Both Brian and I are still in the, "holy hell what HAPPENED" mode but so far things have been amazing. Drew is a wonderful sweet baby and we are really SO lucky.

The first 10 days have been pretty standard for the first 10 of a baby's life. Lots of sleeping, eating and pooping. Except for the first 8 days or so, less sleeping than we would like. Our little man REALLY likes to eat, so for the first 5 days or so was attached to mama constantly. At first I thought the little guy was STARVING since he was always feeding and never seemed to be satisfied. That was until we took him to his first docs appointment on Tuesday (day 5) and he was already past his birth weight. Babies are supposed to lose about 10% of their body weight in the first week and be putting it back on in the following week. Not my little moose. He was 8lbs 2 oz when we left the hospital last Saturday, 8lbs 8oz when we saw the doc on Tuesday, and at the docs yesterday he was 8lbs 11oz. MY GOD this kid is eating.

It's been emotional too. The hormonal roller coaster has kicked in, meaning lots of tears for mama. It's either been OMG he's so WOOOOONDERFUL (sob), or OMG he's not getting enough food and I'm STAAAAARVING him (sob), or OMG I'm so TIIIIIRED and why is he still CRYIIIING(sob).

Take your pick but wow, have there been tears.

Feeding has finally started to level out and make more sense to the two of us. We're starting to kind of get on a schedule after a really rough Friday night where the little demon screamed for HOURS and HOURS and I just sobbed because I couldn't fix it.

Wow...

It's hard being a mom. This really is one of the hardest things I've ever done, but also the most rewarding. Because honestly, there's nothing like a snuggly baby who is happy and sleepy after eating and just wants to be with his mama.

Of course none of this would have been possible without Brian. He is the most AMAZING dad. He's been awesome about helping with feedings and helping me by taking a shift in the middle of the night or snuggling with him while I take a nap. He's amazing. It's also awesome that he has the kind of schedule where he's been home for 10 days straight and hasn't had to go to work yet. He'll go tomorrow on his first trip since Drew's birth, and it will probably be nice for him to go sleep in a hotel and get some serious zzz's . We are a great team and honestly - I couldn't imagine doing it without him.

So I'll cap off this chronicle of sappiness with some cute baby pics. Because honestly - that's the best part :-)


 
Can you tell I don't change much? Thank god I bought like a MILLION nursing tanks from Target because I definitely haven't been doing a lot of laundry...


But at least I'm changing him into some damn cute outfits :-) 

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I remember having one of those rough nights early on...everything is so much harder at 3am. Sounds like you are doing great!

Post a Comment

Come and talk to me! I love to hear all comments and I'm always up for a healthy debate, but hateful, hurtful and inappropriate comments will be removed. Play nice everyone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails