Friday, March 25, 2011

Good Enough To Eat: Oatmeal Craisin Cookies

So yeah... it's Friday. And to be honest, it kind of snuck up on me. 


Things have been a little crazy here at It's Fitting. Lots of travel. Lots of stuff going on. I'll be taking another trip on Monday - not for great reasons - and I'm just really tired of traveling.


And when I get tired and down in the dumps? Cookies always make it better. 


Now I was never a huge sweets fan. But then I got pregnant, had a baby and it was like, HOLY HELL - Baked Goods are DELICIOUS!!! Cinnamon Rolls, cupcakes, cookies, breads, cake, yum yum yum.<--- (I have obviously been watching too much Sesame Street) 


And there's something about homemade baked goods that are just SO much better than girl scout cookies. (I know a few people that just fell over and died at that statement but it's true.) Besides, when you make them yourself? Your inner hippie is happy. 
You know all of the ingredients! 
There is no modified corn starch or xanthum gum. (I mean WTH is THAT???)
Sugar, butter, flour... these are all pretty basic ingredients. Basic DELICIOUS ingredients. 


But I digress *stepping down from soapbox*
These are great cookies. Easy to make, they don't use raisins (which I ABHOR) and they are yummy. 


So enjoy! And let me know if you have made any of these recipes lately. I'd love to hear how things are turning out...  


I've been slowly working through the recipes that you all have sent. Being out of town makes it hard to cook for yourself, but I will keep plugging away and post them for the world once I cook them. 
Thanks for your WONDERFUL and delicious recipes, and keep 'em coming!


Oatmeal Craisin Cookies
Makes 36 cookies



Ingredients

¾ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup butter, softened –if you are like me and accidentally melt the butter instead? The cookies come out thin and flat. They still taste amazing, but soft butter adds a little more heft. Baking is chemistry people!!!
1 large room temperature egg – I know it sounds weird, but it makes a difference in baking… it really does
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups quick cooking oats (not instant)
½ cup chopped walnuts -  I use whatever nuts I have in the freezer. It’s generally pecans from holiday baking… whatever works
¾ cup dried cranberries - Use Craisins. Not to plug Ocean Spray or anything, but Craisins have been dried with sugar and that makes the cranberries a LOT less tart. It makes a huge difference

Baking Directions

Preheat the oven to 375°. 

In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream both sugars and the soft butter. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Add the cinnamon, baking soda, salt and flour and mix until just combined. Try not to over-mix as it can make the cookies kind of tough.

Fold in by hand the oatmeal, walnuts, and dried cranberries, making sure that all of the ingredients are well distributed. Roll the dough into approximately 1-inch balls and place about 3 inches apart onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, just until the edges are lightly golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes on the cookie sheet.

Eat them all before anyone else can have one.




 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails