Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Domestic Goddess

So I secretly YEARN to be her --->

I am desperate to learn how to sew, how to cook and how to be crafty... but they really are a work in progress. 

The cooking part however seems to be going really really well these days. 

Did I actually just say that two days before Thanksgiving? The Turkey Gods are going to strike me down with an over cooked bird... Dammit

But my new obsession has been recipes from The Pioneer Woman... I want her to be my friend... and take me under her wing and teach me how to cook. 

But I'm sure so does everyone else in America. 

I've downloaded a lot of recipes, and am using her for quite a few of my Turkey Day dishes... They are going to be great! If not a fat and cholesterol bomb. She reminds me a little bit of Paula Deen in that sense... 

Anyway... it's going to be tasty, not healthy. 

So with my parents coming up for the holiday I decided to go all out and do some serious cooking while they were here before Thanksgiving. I planned out meals, I pulled out recipes, I prepared for this. And so far? 

HOT DAMN!! I'm on a roll. If I do say so myself. 

Again, I have jinxed myself for a horrendously bad Thanksgiving Day feast, but I think a little self assurance is important. 

I feel good about what I've been cooking... and it doesn't hurt that the meat I've been using has been from our CSA. It really is amazing stuff. 

I made a brisket last night that was to DIE for... You all must make it. Add a little buttered egg noodles (does it get better???) and some roasted carrots (courtesy of TPW) and you are golden... 

Here it is!! TRY IT! 

Ingredients

  • 1 (4 pound) beef brisket, trimmed of fat
  • salt to taste
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 cube beef bouillon
  • 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons water

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (I did it at 300, and my three pound brisket took four hours. This is the way that Pioneer Woman does it and it was TOTALLY worth it.) 
  2. Season the beef brisket with salt, and place in a baking dish. (side note, if you use too much salt on the brisket, the jus turns out really salty at the end. Mine was crazy salty, so I ended up having to doctor it with some wine and some water at the end... just an FYI)
  3.  Cover the entire roast with onion slices. In a medium bowl, mix together the beer, brown sugar, beef bouillon, pepper, garlic bay leaf and thyme. Pour over the roast. Cover with aluminum foil.
  4. Bake for 4 hours in the preheated oven. The brisket should be fork-tender. Mix together the cornstarch and water; stir into the juices in the baking dish to thicken. Remove the bay leaf. Slice and serve the meat.YUM YUM YUM

Happy Cooking!!! 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails