Friday, February 25, 2011

Zzzzzzzzz

It makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. 


It makes my skin crawl and creates this irrational rage when it wakes me from my precious slumber. 


It makes me want to slug or smother my loving husband with whatever pillow/blanket/blunt object is within grasp. 


What is it about snoring that evokes such a response? 


I thought about this question as I sat next to a chubby bulldog that snored like a hibernating bear. I could hear her at night, rattling the windows with the noise. I could hear her during the day, upstairs, a buzzing noise coming from the bedroom. It's a good thing I was only housesitting because I could never live with a pet that makes this kind of cacophony.


Come to think of it, I'm not sure how I live with a husband who makes this kind of noise. It's a good thing he's a) pretty stinking awesome, and b) doesn't snore that often. 


But truly, am I the only one who feels this way? The hubby doesn't seem to be bothered by it, while I generally have to go somewhere else. I know it's obviously a common problem, otherwise there wouldn't be multiple stations broadcasting infomercials that can allegedly "fix" snoring. (Yeah, if they actually worked, I think we would have heard about it by now. )


But is it rational to feel this kind of annoyance (bordering on road rage) when your sleep is interrupted by the noise of someone's soft palate vibrating?


Does anyone else feel this way? Or is it simply now that I've become a mom, a time when sleep is BEYOND precious, that the thought of anyone disturbing it makes me nuts? 


Does snoring make you crazy? And what do YOU do? (Besides clobbering your loved one or dog with a pillow)???


The offending pooch. 




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Bryan Guido Hassin said...

Of course it isn't "rational" to feel this way - but being bothered by something is RARELY rational. Just because it isn't rational, though, doesn't make it invalid; 90% of what we do / think is irrational - we just try to rationalize it because it makes us feel better. :-)

When I moved to Houston for college something in the air didn't agree with me and, for the first year or so that I was here, I was told that I snored worse than anything anyone had ever heard before. After that my allergies adapted or something but, for awhile, it was a big problem.

My 1st year roommate and I worked out a system. When I would wake him up with my snoring, he would throw a pillow at me. I would wake up, roll over onto my stomach (Apparently I didn't snore in this position.) and all would be right with the world. The only problem was that my roommate was an All-American pitcher with a 98-mph fastball - sometimes those pillows hurt!

Post a Comment

Come and talk to me! I love to hear all comments and I'm always up for a healthy debate, but hateful, hurtful and inappropriate comments will be removed. Play nice everyone!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails